The Geelong Family History Group Inc. is a non-profit group which was formed in 1981 to promote and encourage the study of family history and to preserve records pertaining to the Geelong region in the State of Victoria, Australia. We are a dynamic group which is able to offer members the use of an ever-increasing collection of source material, much accumulated skill and a selection of interesting activities – this is by means of our Virtual Library and (a paid search of) our GFHG Research Files.
Since the Geelong Regional Library, Belmont Branch, has changed their opening hours, we are severely limited on who can access our meetings. We apologise about this but it is completely out of our control.
CURRENT SITUATION: ONLY GFHG Members who book in advance can be given access to our meetings.
The Geelong Family History Group Inc. (GFHG) welcomes new members.
We offer our members:
- guidance as required,
- a varied program of guest speakers at our monthly General Meetings and
- a common interest in family research.
The GFHG has the following aims:
- To promote and encourage the study of family history and related subjects and to assist members in their research activities.
- To hold meetings at which addresses may be given, papers read and discussions take place on subjects of interest to members.
- To produce, gather and preserve indexes and information relevant to the study of family history, particularly for the Geelong region.
- To make those indexes and other books, papers, manuscripts and periodical journals available to members and researchers through the Geelong Family History Group virtual library, the Geelong and District Database, Geelong Regional Library Service, the Geelong Heritage Centre, and other appropriate repositories.
- To publish a regular journal (The Pivot Tree) so giving members the opportunity to contribute articles based on their own research and to distribute information pertaining to family history.
The GFHG meetings are held at:
THE BELMONT LIBRARY MEETING ROOM, 163 High Street, Belmont [Geelong], Victoria 3216
- WiFi internet connection
- Access to Ancestry Library Edition
- Data Projector and Screen
- Ample parking [on southern side – entry from Roslyn Road]
GFHG Members are welcome to attend.
More about us:
- Current Committee.
- Our History.
- Our Contributors – committee members, officers and others.
- Speakers and their topics at our previous meetings.
- Stories that make up our history.
As an added bonus you can download a scanned copy of Timeline & History of Geelong Family History Group 1981-2011.