The Geelong Family History Group has been a ‘virtual’ / online family history group since we closed our Research rooms and Library in 2006. APART from our Monthly meetings everything we have done since then was online. That’s why I say … Business as usual – well close.
The ONLY thing different at the moment is that our Monthly (physical) Meetings have been deferred BUT we are still enjoying our speakers already scheduled at our publicised ‘Monthly Meetings‘. Those speakers are very generously pre-recording their presentations which I release to our Members (and non Members if speakers agree) on the day of our normal scheduled meeting.
That means that Members can enjoy our speakers’ presentations when it is convenient. They don’t have to be online at a specific time for these presentations. For our next meeting – 22nd April 2020 – we are also going to have a ZOOM meeting for those who wish to join in. If you’re interested, email me (Susie Zada, GFHG Secretary).
The MOST important thing – we still have access to ALL our Research Resources – so we are able to provide both of our Research Requests options.
From the various facebook pages and mailing lists it is obvious that many Family Historians are making the most of their ‘spare time’ to do more on their Family History.
- Members get free quick look-ups
- Members get half-price Research Requests ($10 instead of $20)
- Anyone can request a free first check of our GFHG Research Files – see procedures.
- We encourage everyone to check the Geelong and District Database – it’s free with more than 1.7 million entries for the extended Geelong District region! And make sure you read the Tips, Warnings and Info to get the most out of your search.
- If you then look at the GFHG Research Files Catalogue you’ll see which entries are included in the GFHG Research Files request and all those extras. You may find that a GFHG Research Files request works out more economical than a standard Research Request or you may find that a more focussed Research Request is a better option. REMEMBER that the Geelong Heritage Centre is currently closed so some resources are unaccessible to us unless we have our own copies. We also have many resources not available at the Geelong Heritage Centre.
When do things get back to normal? That is probably the main question on everyones’ lips about everything. Obviously the libraries need to re-open but when we can recommence meetings will be a library decision and not automatically once each library re-opens.
In the meantime we will keep providing IMPORTANT extra options for our members and supporters.
- We are providing pre-recorded presentations by our advertised monthly speakers.
- We are going to have short ZOOM meetings on our normal monthly meeting times and dates – to keep in touch, ask family history / research questions and advice, and keep you up-to-date with special access to various sites during isolation periods.
- Members now have online access to ALL journals the Geelong Family History Group receives each month.
- Our Pivot Tree journal is being provided to all our members as a digital PDF file until we are able to get them printed and Members can collect them at our meeting.
If you have any questions, please email me (Susie Zada, GFHG Secretary).
If you are not already following this Blog, subscribe to our Blog so you will be notified of any changes.
Join our Geelong and District Mailing List to keep up with other news for Family and Local Historians or join the Victorian Mailing List for broader topics. I’m List Admin for both of these lists and will be a tad more lenient on topics during our period of isolation.
Most importantly – keep in touch!